Lycoming T53-L-13 (LTC1K-4) Turboshaft Engine
The Avco Lycoming T53 turboprop/turboshaft engine was the first U.S. gas turbine engine designed with a free turbine – a device driven by the exhaust gas and connected to the engine’s drive shaft. This arrangement permits constant R.P.M. with variable torque, and advantage in helicopter operation.
It was designed in the 1950s by Dr. Anselm Franz, the leader in the development of the Junkers Jumo 004 turbojet, 5000 of which were built in Germany during World War II.
The following aircraft are powered by the T53: Bell 204 and 205 (UH-1 Iroquois) helicopter, Bell 209 (AH-1 Huey Cobra) helicopter, Kaman 600 600 (HH-43 Huskie) helicopter, Vertol 105 and 107 helicopters (early models), Grumman OV-1 (Mohawk) turboprop aircraft. In addition, several experimental VTOL aircraft have been powered by the T-53 engine.
More than 20,000 of these engines have been built in the U.S.A., Germany, Italy, and Japan. They are used by 30 countries around the world.
The engine on display is Model T53-L-1B, about 1960. Production began in 1957 and continues to the present.
Transferred from the General Services Administration
Weight: 249 kg (549 lb)
- Country of Origin
- United States of America
- Dr Anselm Franz
- Lycoming (Stratford, Connecticut)
- PROPULSION-Turbines (Jet)
- Diameter 55.9 cm (22 in.), Length 121 cm (47.5 in.)