This bronze medal was part of the Daniel Guggenheim Medal awarded to Dr. Hugh L. Dryden in 1950. The Daniel Guggenheim Medal is awarded for "great achievements in aeronautics." It was established in 1928 by the Daniel Guggenheim Fund for the Promotion of Aeronautics, and then subsequently became administered jointly by the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, the Society of Automotive Engineers, and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. Dr. Dryden received it for his work as an aeronautical engineer and his leadership positions at the National Advisory Committee on Aeronautics. Dr. Dryden's widow, Mrs. Elizabeth Dryden, donated the medal, along with other mementoes of Dr. Dryden, to the National Collection in 1974.
Donated by Mrs. Hugh L. Dryden