Pratt & Whitney Twin Wasp R-1830-92 Radial Engine
Designed in 1930, the 14-cylinder, 597 kW (800 hp) Twin Wasp engine was first used in the Martin 130 China Clipper that inaugurated trans-Pacific commercial operations in 1935.
United Air Lines had 746 kW (1,000 hp) Twin Wasps installed in their Douglas DC-3As, which went into service in 1937. Other airlines also used Twin Wasp DC-3As, and 9,600 were built for the military as the C-47, C-53, and C-117 to become the principle transports used in World War II.
This version powered the Douglas C-47A, C-48, C-52, and C-53, all commercial or military versions of the DC-3. A total of 173,618 of all versions of the Twin Wasp engines were manufactured, including those for the World War II B-24 bomber, a number greater than any other large aircraft engine.
Gift of Grumman Aerospace.
Type: Radial, 14 cylinders, two rows, air-cooled, supercharger
Power rating: 895 kW (1,200 hp) at 2,700 rpm
Displacement: 30 L (1,828.4 cu in)
Bore and Stroke: 139.5 mm (5.5 in) x 139.5 mm (5.5 in)
Weight: 666 kg (1,467 lb)
- Country of Origin
- United States of America
- Pratt & Whitney
- Circa World War II
- PROPULSION-Reciprocating & Rotary
- Diameter: 122.4 cm (48.188 in.), Length 156.6 cm (61.625 in.)