This is a 1:48 scale model of the V-2 missile, the world's first guided missile developed and used by Nazi Germany. Powered by liquid-fuel engines, the V-2 had a maximum range of 320 kilometers (200 miles) and carried a conventional warhead. It was first successfully tested in October 1942. Beginning in September 1944, over 3,000 V-2s were launched from mobile launchers at targets in England, France, and Belgium. NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center made this metal model and transferred it to the Museum in 1976.
Gift of NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center