Studies begun by Dr. Hans von Ohain in 1933 led to a propulsion process in which compression and expansion were separated and carried out by a turbo compressor and turbine respectively. A model jet engine only partially functioned correctly, indicating a need for systematic development effort with industrial support and funding, leading to his employment with the Heinkel Corporation.
Von Ohain's gaseous hydrogen-powered turbojet engine designated HeS 1 ran successfully in early 1937. The HeS 3B engine, which evolved in 1938, used internal fuel gasification initially rather than the desired atomized liquid fuel injection system used in later versions. On August 27, 1939, the HeS 3B powered the Heinkel He 178 on the world's first flight of a turbojet powered aircraft.
This non-working reproduction was built by the German Engine Industry under the leadership of the M.T.U. Co. at the request of the Deutsches Museum of Munich, Germany, from plans drawn by Dr. von Ohain.
Gift of Motoren- und Turbinen-Union Company, Munich, Germany
Weight: 360 kg (794 lb)