The Little John was a short-ranged (4.5-23 mile), surface-to-surface U.S. Army missile and much lighter and mobile than its larger predecessor, the Honest John. The solid-fuel Little John was developed at the Redstone Arsenal, Huntsville, Alabama.
Both the missile and its launcher were portable enough to be transportable by helicopter or other aircraft. The system was evaluated in 1958 at Fort Knox, Kentucky, although some shortcomings were found and the Little John did not become operational until 1961. It remained operational for only a brief period. The missile was transferred from the U.S. Army to the Smithsonian in 1986.
Transferred from the U.S. Army