Pressure Suit, Sokol KV-2, Thagard
NASA astronaut Norman Thagard wore this pressure suit during the launch to the space station Mir on board Soyuz TM-21 on March 14, 1995, as a member of the Mir 18 Mission (3/14/95-7/7/95). Dr. Thagard was the first American to participate in a joint Russian-American human flight mission since the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project in 1975. He was also the first American to launch on board a Soyuz spacecraft.
The suit's manufacturer, Zvezda, transferred it to NASA as part of the U.S.-Russian agreement on Thagard's mission. NASA, in turn, transferred it to the museum in 1996.
Transferred from National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- Country of Origin
- PERSONAL EQUIPMENT-Pressure Suits
- COUPLINGS - ALUMINUM
- LINER - RUBBERIZED FABRIC
- SUIT (COVERLAYER) - SYNTHETIC WHITE FABRIC
- VISOR - CLEAR PLASTIC
- ZIPPER - METAL (BRASS?) WITH TWIL COTTON BACKING
- Overall: 8 1/2in. x 2ft 2in. x 4ft 12in. (21.6 x 66 x 152.4cm)