This case was made to provide protection for the sunglasses issued to astronaut Michael Collins, command module pilot of the Apollo 11 mission in July 1969. The case is constructed of beta cloth, is reinforced to retain its shape, and has a metal snap closure.
Michael Collins, former director of the Museum, donated the case in 1984.
Donated by Michael Collins
- Country of Origin
- United States of America
- Michael Collins
- National Air and Space Museum, Washington, DC
- Apollo to the Moon
- PERSONAL EQUIPMENT-Personal Items
- Overall - beta cloth
- Snaps: chrome-plated steel
- 3-D (Open, On Display): 15 × 14.5 × 1.7cm (5 7/8 × 5 11/16 × 11/16 in.)
- 3-D (Closed): 15 × 6.5 × 3.5cm (5 7/8 × 2 9/16 × 1 3/8 in.)