This event has ended.
Space Day: Welcome Discovery
Join us for our annual Space Day family program. This year, we will celebrate the arrival of Space Shuttle Discovery to the National Air and Space Museum's collection.
Speakers in Moving Beyond Earth (Gallery 113)
10:30 a.m. Find out what it is like to live and work in space with Astronaut Patrick G. Forrester.
11:30 a.m. Learn how music is played in space
1:00 p.m. Meet "Space Ranger" Buzz Lightyear and NASA Astronaut Patrick G. Forrester
Presentation Stations in Space Race (Gallery 114)
- Discover how space suits are made
- Learn about some of the tools and crew aids used on the Hubble Space Telescope
- See a display of model rockets and get information on model rocket clubs
- Learn about the James Webb Space Telescope project
Activity Stations, located throughout the Museum
- Design your own mission patch
- Learn how rockets get into space
- Build your own paper rocket and see how far it will go
- Build a payload to deliver to the International Space Station or beyond (group project)
- Find out just how useful duct tape is space.
- Create your own galaxy based on images captured by the Hubble Space Telescope
- Story time: Astronaut Handbook, by Meghan McCarthy
- Dress like an astronaut (fun for all ages)
- Shuttle construction zone
- Space glove training center
- Collect shuttle training cards throughout the museum and earn your own mission patch
Space Day is made possible by the generous support of Lockheed Martin Corporation.