For over 100 years, women have contributed to technological advances in aviation and space. Hear about the historic women who have inspired today’s role models.
Meet women in aerospace and aviation, including:
- Current NASA Astronaut Serena Auñón in Moving Beyond Earth (Gallery 113) - 12:00 pm and 2:00 pm
- Bonnie Tiburzi Caputo, the first woman pilot to fly for a major US airline
- Major Kara Sandifur, U.S. Air Force Reserves
- Museum curator Cathleen Lewis and conservator Lisa Young with pieces of the Museum's space suit collection
- And many more female aerospace professionals
- Design Challenge: Mission to Mars — design, build, and test your ideas for a Mars base, suit, and form of transportation.
- See if you have the right stuff in our version of "Astronaut Candidate Training Center."
- Create a Mission Patch you can wear.
- Conduct a take-home science experiment like one done on the International Space Station.
- Make "old time" pennants and tickets from the golden age of flight.
- Play our Women in Aerospace timeline game.
- Get your historic pilot's license.
All of the above activities run from 10:00 am – 3:00 pm
Enjoy the music of the Chromatics
Space Race (Gallery 114) – 11:00 am and 1:00 pm
Gaze safely at the Sun from NASM’s observatory
Outside on the east terrace – 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm (Weather Permitting)
Pioneers of Flight (Gallery 208) – 11:00 am and 1:30 pm
Listen to a story about Amelia Earhart (ages 3-6, with an adult companion).