Lockheed T-33A-5-LO Shooting Star
Known to all as the T-Bird, the T-33 was the only jet trainer in the U.S. Air Force inventory from 1948 until 1957 when the Cessna T-37 Tweet took to the skies. The T-Bird served as an instrument trainer, utility aircraft, and test platform. The prototype first flew on March 22, 1948, piloted by acclaimed test pilot Tony LeVier. It handled much like the P-80C. It was officially designated T-33A on May 5, 1949.
The Museum's T-33A-5-LO, serial no. 53-5226N, was accepted by the USAF on September 16, 1954, and delivered to the DC Air National Guard at Andrews Air Force Base where it served until its transfer to the Museum on October 30, 1987. The Museum's aircraft has never been painted and has a highly polished natural metal finish. Used primarily as a training aircraft, all guns have been removed.
More information: Lockheed T-33A-5-LO Shooting Star