Moving the Sikorsky JRS-1

     

Moving the Sikorsky JRS-1

On March 8, 2011, the Sikorsky JRS-1 was transferred from the Museum's Paul E. Garber Preservation, Restoration and Storage facility in Suitland, MD to the new Mary Baker Engen Restoration Hangar at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA. Rather than remove the engines from their mounting rings, Collections staff pulled the engine mounts from the nacelles at the front of the wing.  This allowed them to rotate each engine vertically and utilize the four point mount itself as a stand. 

Image Number: WEB11807-2011
For print or commercial use please see our permissions page.

Large JPEG (1878 x 2504 pixels)

More about this object