Mary E. “Mother” Tusch is shown here shortly before her collection was sent to Washington in 1947. She is surrounded by the aviation memorabilia that she avidly collected, especially the personal items given to her by the many military pilots who trained at the U.S. School of Military Aeronautics at the University of California at Berkeley campus during WWI. These objects, now in the NASM’s collection, were meant to show the aviators’ gratitude for her maternal concern for them, hence the name “Mother” Tusch.
Image Number: 76-6120
For print or commercial use please see our permissions page.