In 1936 Amelia Earhart purchased a new Lockheed 10-E Electra with funds from the Purdue Research Foundation. The airplane - officially called the “Flying Laboratory”- was meant to be used as a test bed for new equipment, but her real intent was to fly it around the world. This solid-wood model was donated by Locheed Aircraft.
Image Number: 2011-00623
Credit: Image by Eric Long, National Air and Space Museum Archives, Smithsonian Institution
For print or commercial use please see our permissions page.