About Home

Objects on Display

Allison V-1710-33

Image Not Available

Display Status:

This object is on display in the Boeing Aviation Hangar at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center.

Summary

Having originally been known for modified Liberty engines and developing propeller reduction gears, this was the first of Allison’s own engines. In 1937 the Allison V-1710 became the first American engine to qualify at 746 kW (1,000 horsepower) for the new 150-hour military type test. The V-1710-C was also the first in the "long nose" series that provided a basis for later improved and higher powered versions. Allison designers created the long nose by extending the propeller shaft about 30 centimeters (12 inches) to maximize streamlining.

The Allison V-1710 was the only liquid cooled engine that saw service in World War II, and powered most war time U.S. Army fighters , including the Lockheed P-38, Bell P-39 and P-63, Curtiss P-40, and early North American P-51s. The V-1710-C15 (military designation V-1710-33) powered the Curtiss P-40, P-40A, B, and C pursuit aircraft. Formerly a division of General Motors, Allison is most recently a division of Rolls Royce.

Lent by Allison Division, General Motors Corporation.

Manufacturer: Allison Division, General Motors Corporation

Designer: Norm Gilman

Date: 1939

Country of Origin: United States of America

Dimensions: Length 250.3 cm (98.54 in.), Width 74 4 cm (29.29 in.), Height 106.4 cm (41.88 in.)

Physical Description:Type: Reciprocating, 12 cylinders, V-type, liquid cooled Power rating: 776 kW (1,040 hp) at 2,800 rpm Displacement: 28 L (1,710 cu in) Bore and Stroke: 140 mm (5.5 in.) x 152 mm (6 in.) Weight (dry): 608 kg (1,340 lb)

Inventory number: A19420027000

Visit | Events | Exhibitions | Objects        Bookmark and Share