This object is on display in the Rockets & Missiles at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center.
Askania Werke A.G.
Country of Origin: Germany
Dimensions: 3-D: 35.6 x 30.5 x 22.9cm (14 x 12 x 9 in.)
Materials: Case: metal, probably aluminum. gyroscopes: metal
This device was used to guide the World War II-era flying bomb "V-1" from launch ramps in German-controlled territory to targets in England. A set of air-driven gyros maintained the bomb's course, and a timing device determined when to cut off the pulse-jet motor and commence a dive to a target.
This autopilot was apparently recovered from a V-1 that landed, unexploded, in London.
Donated to the Museum by the Army and Navy Club in 1953.
Gift of the Army and Navy Club
Inventory number: A19530055000