About Home

Objects on Display

Curtiss Model K In-Line 4

Image Not Available

Display Status:

This object is on display in the Boeing Aviation Hangar at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center.

Summary

Among the most successful early engines marketed in the United States were those designed and built by aviation pioneer and inventor Glenn Curtiss in his factory in Hammondsport, New York. Curtiss introduced the Model K in 1911. This engine was an enlarged and improved version of an earlier Curtiss in-line air- and water-cooled power plant. Each cylinder in the engine had a single push rod and rocker arm, which operated the inlet and exhaust valves.

The Model K powered the Curtiss Type D pusher airplane, the U.S. Army's second aircraft after the 1909 Wright Military Flyer.

Found in the collection.

Manufacturer: Curtiss Aeroplane and Motor Company

Designer: Glenn H. Curtiss

Date: 1912

Country of Origin: United States of America

Dimensions: Length 50.8 cm (20.0 in.), Width 30.5 cm (12.0 in.), Height 77.5 cm (30.5 in.)

Physical Description:Type: Reciprocating, In-line, 4 cylinders, water cooled Power rating: 30 kW (40 hp) at 1,500 rpm Displacement: 4.1 L (251 cu in) Bore and Stroke: 102 mm (4 in) x 127 mm (5 in) Weight: 79.5 kg (175 lb)

Inventory number: A19660008000

Visit | Events | Exhibitions | Objects        Bookmark and Share