This object is on display in the Boeing Aviation Hangar at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center.
The Boeing P-26A of the mid-to-late 1930s introduced the concept of the high-performance, all-metal monoplane fighter design, which would become standard during World War II. A radical departure from wood-and-fabric biplanes, the Peashooter nonetheless retained an open cockpit, fixed landing gear, and external wing bracing.
Most P-26As stationed overseas were eventually sold to the Philippines or assigned to the Panama Canal Department Air Force, a branch of the U.S. Army Air Corps. Several went to China and one to Spain. This one was based at Selfridge Field in Michigan and Fairfield Air Depot in Ohio between its acceptance by the U.S. Army Air Corps in 1934 and its transfer to the Canal Zone in 1938. It was given to Guatemala in 1942 and flew in the Guatemalan air force until 1954. Guatemala donated it to the Smithsonian in 1957.
Gift of the Guatemalan Air Force, Republic of Guatemala
Boeing Aircraft Co.
Country of Origin: United States of America
Wingspan: 8.5 m (27 ft 11 in)
Length: 7.3 m (23 ft 11 in)
Height: 3.1 m (10 ft 2 in)
Weight, empty: 996 kg (2,196 lb)
Weight, gross: 1,334 kg (2,935 lb)
Top speed: 377 km/h (234 mph)
Engine: Pratt & Whitney R-1340-27, 600 hp
Armament: two .30 cal. M2 Browning aircraft machine guns
Inventory number: A19730273000