This object is on display in the Boeing Aviation Hangar at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center.
Cessna O-1A Bird Dog
In the Korean War the Bird Dog, affectionately called "the jeep with wings," was used for a variety of missions including artillery spotting, laying communication wire, evacuating wounded and dropping supplies and flares. Then designated the L-19, it was frequently used as an observation platform for field commanders. In September 1962, the Bird Dog was redesignated as the O-1A-the first all metal, high-wing, single-engine aircraft to see service in U.S. Army aviation. During the War in Southeast Asia, the U.S. Air Force used the O-1A as an airborne Forward Air Controller (FAC) for jet fighters, marking targets with phosphorus rockets.
The Museum's O-1A served primarily as a training platform accumulating more than 10,000 flying hours during its career. The aircraft was restored by the U.S. Army, Field Maintenance Division at Davidson Army Air Field, Ft. Belvoir, Virginia, as Mobile Miss, an O-1A that was assigned to the 74th Aviation Company (Aerial Surveillance) near Saigon in 1972.
Transferred from the U.S. Army
Wingspan: 10.9 m (36 ft)
Length: 7.6 m (25 ft)
Height: 2.28 m (7 ft 6 in)
Weight, empty: 636 kg (1,400 lb)
Weight, gross: 1103 kg (2430 lb)
Top speed: 208 km/h (130 mph)
Engines: Continental 0-470-11, 213 hp
Crew: 2; Pilot and Observer
Manufacturer: Cessna airplane Co., Inc., Wichita, KS, 1951
Transferred from the United States Army.
Cessna Aircraft Company, Inc.
Country of Origin: United States of America
Dimensions: Overall: 25ft 9 1/2in. x 7ft 3 1/2in. x 36ft, 1614lb. (7.861m x 2.223m x 10.973m, 732.1kg)
Physical Description:Single engine, high-wing, tail-dragger, observation aircraft.
Inventory number: A19780403000