Radar Remote Sensing
of Planetary Surfaces
By Bruce A. Campbell
The following are corrections for mistakes that have been found since
- Equation 2.72: There should be a square bracket at the end of the
- Figure 3.21: The rock is just a rock, not a "rock analyzer".
- Eq. 4.20 - the term inside the brackets should be (1-delta_t*c/(2*r)).
- Equation 4.27 requires an additional term in the denominator for the
variation in projected area of the frequency resolution elements. The
correct expression is presented in this PDF file.
Figure 5.14 - The vertical axis should be labeled as the dimensionlessbackscatter coefficient.
- Eq. 5.22 - The w(f) term here refers to the normalized spectrum of
a surface, such that the units of the spectrum are m^2. This differs
from the definition of w(f) given in Eq. 3.20 for the power spectrum
of a profile, for which the units are m.
- Equations 5.23 and 5.24: the exponent on the denominator should be
2, not 1/2.
- Equations 5.30-5.31. These expressions are not properly normalized
for illuminated area (see associated
PDF file for revised equations). The curves shown in Figure 5.10
are thus correct in their relative shape, but the vertical scaling between
the curves is arbitrary.
- Figure 5.8: curves use incorrect values of the alpha terms from Eqs.
- Figure 5.9: curves are correct.
- Page 158, just above Eq. 5.49, should read "...(ii) the phase
between the HH and VV echoes, relative to single-bounce reflections,
- Equation 7.7: The value of zeta should be replaced by -(zeta)
- Table 9.1 - The use of the coherent scattering model to derive roughness
may be biased by the normalization problem noted for Eq. 5.30.
- Ostro, S.J., et al., 1992, correct page numbers are 18,227-18,244
Dr. Campbell's Homepage