Visitors with Disabilities
The Udvar-Hazy Center offers accommodation for visitors with disabilities, including:
- Parking. There are designated parking spaces along center walkway and a drop-off lane at the entrance.
- Exterior access ramp.
- Interior elevators.
- Wheelchair access. The Museum offers exhibits, theaters, classrooms, kiosks, pay phones, and water fountains. The Donald D. Engen Observation Tower is also wheelchair accessible.
- Restrooms. All restrooms are wheelchair accessible, and there is a family/companion restrooms on the main floor across from the lockers.
- Accessible theater programming. Audio descriptions and/or closed captioning for most theater shows.
- Wheelchairs. Non-motorized wheelchairs are available at no charge with a valid ID. The Museum does not provide motorized wheelchairs. Please visit the Security Desk to inquire about availability. Wheelchairs are provided on a first come, first served basis.
- Tours and public programs (reservations required). Many of our docents (tour guides) are trained to give tours to children and adults with disabilities. For visitors who are blind or have low vision, we offer audio-described, docent-led tours and discovery stations with models and tactile components. Braille and tactile guides are available at the Welcome Center at the entrance of the Museum. Sign language interpreters can be made available for tours, public programs, or evening lectures with advanced notice.
- Accessible exhibitry. We incorporate content and features into our exhibitions to make them more accessible to a broader range of visitors. Examples include tactile models and materials, audio labels, and wheelchair accessible interactive exhibits. Visit the Welcome Center for information on accessible exhibitry throughout the Museum.
Two-week advance notice is required to reserve a special-needs program. When requesting accommodation, please specify the kind of interpretation required (e.g., for sign language: ASL, PSE, or Signed English).
Send your request to: firstname.lastname@example.org
or contact the National Air and Space Museum Reservation Office from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday, except federal holidays, at 202-633-2563.
Central Smithsonian Accessibility Office
If you plan to visit other Smithsonian museums, you may elect to make all of your interpreter reservations through the Central Smithsonian Accessibility Office: