- The National Air and Space Museum received the American Institute for Aeronautics and Astronautics 2011 Barry Goldwater Educator of the Year Award.
- Director of the Museum, General John R. “Jack” Dailey received the Elder Statesmen of Aviation Award from the National Aeronautic Association (NAA).
- Space History curator Michael Neufeld won the 2011 Society of American Military Engineers' Northern Virginia Post Annual Journalism Award.
- Aeronautics curator John Anderson received the Sarton Medal from the faculty of engineering at the University of Ghent (Belgium) for the academic year 2010-2011.
- Space History senior curator Roger Launius’ book, Coming Home: Reentry and Recovery from Space, was selected for the American Institute for Aeronautics and Astronautics 2011 History Manuscript Award. The book was co-authored by Dennis Jenkins.
- National Air and Space Museum Trophy: Michael Suffredini and the International Space Station Program Office were presented the award for Current Achievement, and NASA’s George Mueller received the Lifetime Achievement award.
Photo: Museum director Gen. J.R. "Jack" Dailey, center, accepted the American Institute for Aeronautics and Astronautics 2011 Barry Goldwater Educator of the Year Award on behalf of the National Air and Space Museum. On the left is Rick Ohlemacher, Chairman of the AIAA National Capital Section, and on the right is Museum docent Bruce Cranford.
Photo by Bruce Cranford