This object is not on display at the National Air and Space Museum. It is either on loan or in storage.
Collection Item Summary:
This is a crucial component of the V-2 ballistic missile guidance system deployed by the Germans during World War II. It used a spinning gyroscope, mounted off-axis, to meaure the acceleration of the missile, and sent a signal to cut off the rocket motor when a desired velocity was achieved.
The device was given to the Smithsonian by the U.S. Navy in 1948, but otherwise its provenance is unknown.