You are here

Autopilot, V-1


Display Status:

This object is on display in the Rockets and Missiles exhibition at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA.

Collection Item Summary:

This device was used to guide the World War II-era flying bomb "V-1" from launch ramps in German-controlled territory to targets in England. A set of air-driven gyros maintained the bomb's course, and a timing device determined when to cut off the pulse-jet motor and commence a dive to a target.

This autopilot was apparently recovered from a V-1 that landed, unexploded, in London.

Donated to the Museum by the Army and Navy Club in 1953.

Collection Item Long Description:

Data Source

National Air and Space Museum


Do not reproduce without permission from the Smithsonian Institution, National Air and Space Museum


Credit Line

Gift of the Army and Navy Club


Case: metal, probably aluminum. gyroscopes: metal


3-D: 35.6 x 30.5 x 22.9cm (14 x 12 x 9 in.)

Country of Origin



SPACECRAFT-Unmanned-Guidance & Control

Inventory Number


Related Topics