This case and gold medal comprise the Daniel Guggenheim Medal awarded to Dr. Charles S. Draper in 1966. The Daniel Guggenheim Medal is awarded for "great achievements in aeronautics." It was established in 1928 by the Daniel Guggenheim Fund for the Promotion of Aeronautics, and then subsequently became administered jointly by the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, the Society of Automotive Engineers, and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. Dr. Draper received it for his contributions to aeronautical education and his development of guidance systems for aircraft, rockets, missiles, and spacecraft.
Dr. Draper donated a collection of his awards, including this medal, to the National Collection in 1974.