Curtiss Propeller, Fixed-Pitch, Two-Blade, Wood

favorite

Display Status:

This object is not on display at the National Air and Space Museum. It is either on loan or in storage.

Collection Item Summary:

Among the most successful early engines marketed in the United States were those designed and built by aviation pioneer and inventor Glenn Curtiss in his factory in Hammondsport, New York. Early Curtiss engines of one and later two cylinders were designed to power motorcycles. In 1904 a two-cylinder, V-type engine-believed to be the first Curtiss aircraft engine was modified to power Capt. Thomas S. Baldwin's California Arrow dirigible. Curtiss’s first direct involvement with propellers likely was assistance to Baldwin in the improvement of the airship propellers.

The Burgess Company of Marblehead, Massachusetts later supplied the Curtiss Company with wood propellers beginning in 1910 before the company started its own production at its new Buffalo, New York, factory in 1916. That facility was likely the source for this artifact.

Collection Item Long Description:

Data Source

National Air and Space Museum

Materials

  • Wood
  • Natural Fabric
  • Varnish
  • Paint

Dimensions

Rotor/Propeller: 241.3 x 21.6 x 20.3 x 15.2 x 1.1cm (95 x 8 1/2 x 8 x 6 x 7/16 in.)

Country of Origin

United States of America

Physical Description

  • Type: Two-Blade, Fixed-Pitch, Wood
  • Diameter: 241.3 cm (95 in.)
  • Chord: 21.6 cm (8.5 in.)
  • Engine Application: Likely Liberty for Curtiss HS flying boat

Type

PROPULSION-Propellers & Impellers

Inventory Number

A19690188000