This object is not on display at the National Air and Space Museum. It is either on loan or in storage.
Restrictions & Rights
- Fan, Open: 28.6 × 50.8 × 2.5cm (11 1/4 in. × 20 in. × 1 in.)
- Fan, Closed: 28.6 × 3.8 × 2.5cm (11 1/4 in. × 1 1/2 in. × 1 in.)
- Box: 31.1 × 5.1 × 5.4cm (12 1/4 in. × 2 in. × 2 1/8 in.)
See more items in
- Ornate folding hand fan with box. Mother of pearl sticks are carved and decorated with floral motifs. The guard sticks have painted balloons in addition to the floral carving and gilding. The textile leaf is hand painted with three scenes. The large center scene shows a man and three women conversing outside, with a balloon in the air in the background. The two smaller side scenes each show a red balloon with two people in the gondolas. The scenes are surrounded with hand painted flowers and sewn sequins. The reverse is mostly plain with a few pink roses in the center. Head is decorated with large inset clear stones.
- The fan has been dated to1783 by a French fan expert, and was stored in an early 20th century box in which it was apparently packed when Mrs. Kendall purchased it. Box is grey with a hinged lid. Label on the interior of the lid identifies the store where the fan was purchased.