This object is not on display at the National Air and Space Museum. It is either on loan or in storage.
Collection Item Summary:
The BV 246 was an experimental glide bomb developed by the German Luftwaffe in World War II. It was designed to be dropped a long distance from its target, thereby avoiding Allied figher opposition. This tail section may come from a "Radieschen" (Radish) variant, which was to home in on radars.
U.S. Army Air Forces shipped the components from Germany in 1945. It is not known when the Smithsonian acquired this artifact.
Collection Item Long Description:
Restrictions & Rights
- Approximate: 3.8 × 55.9 × 34.3cm (1 1/2 × 22 × 13 1/2 in.)
- Storage (Rehoused on Aluminum Pallet): 153.7 × 157.5 × 85.1cm, 90.7kg (60 1/2 × 62 × 33 1/2 in., 200lb.)