This object is not on display at the National Air and Space Museum. It is either on loan or in storage.
Collection Item Summary:
The Hamilton Standard Hydromatic propeller introduced in the 1930s was a significant advance over the counterweight, controllable pitch propeller. Application of oil pressure to both sides of the actuating piston provided increased capacity and the capability of feathering or unfeathering by a single control knob. Reverse pitch permitted shortened landing roll.
With this advance, Hamilton Standard became the primary propeller manufacturer for the Allies during World War II. Virtually the entire front-line inventory, from multiengine bombers to fighter and transport aircraft, as well as a significant majority of RAF aircraft, employed Hydromatic propellers. Hamilton Standard and its three licensees--refrigerator manufacturers Frigidaire and Nash-Kelvinator, and office equipment maker Remington-Rand--produced 530,135 Hydromatic propeller assemblies during the war.
Collection Item Long Description:
- Aluminum (blades)
- Steel (hub and hardware)
- Spinner:AluminumSteel (handle)
- Pitch Change Regulator:
- Storage: 289.6 x 335.3 x 29.2cm (114 in. x 11 ft. x 11 1/2 in.)
- Other (Pitch Change Regulator): 25.4 x 20cm (10 x 7 7/8 in.)
- Other (Spinner): 26.7 x 38.7cm (10 1/2 x 15 1/4 in.)
- Other (Hub Diameter): 27.9cm (11 in.)
See more items in
Country of Origin
- Type: Three-Blade, Constant-Speed, Metal
- Diameter: Unknown
- Chord: Unknown
- Engine Application: Pratt & Whitney Wasp R-1830-92