This object is on display in the Boeing Aviation Hangar at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA.
Collection Item Summary:
Lycoming traces its beginning to a mid-nineteenth century sewing machine manufacturer. In 1907 that company was sold and restructured as the Lycoming Foundry and Machine Company, which produced automobile engines, and later was a subsidiary of the Auburn Auto Company. Although its early aircraft engines were radials, Lycoming entered the light-aircraft engine field early in 1938 with the introduction of the air-cooled, four-cylinder, horizontally opposed O-145 engine.
Along with Continental and Franklin, Lycoming was a basic provider of engines for the ubiquitous bright yellow Piper Cub, which sold for less than $2,000 and was synonymous with small general aviation aircraft for many years.
Appearing in 1939, the O-145-B2 provided the highest power of Lycoming's three engine models. It powered such aircraft as the Piper J3L-65, Taylorcraft BL-12-65, and Mooney M-18 Mite.
Collection Item Long Description:
See more items in
Country of Origin
- Type: Reciprocating, Horizontally-opposed, 4 cylinders, Air-cooled
- Power rating: 48 kW (65 hp) at 2,550 rpm
- Displacement: 2.4 L (145 cu in)
- Bore and Stroke: 92.08 mm (3.625 in.) x 88.9 mm (3.5 in.)
- Weight: 75.3 kg (166 lb)