You are here

Maximotor B-4 Engine, In-line 4 Engine


Display Status:

This object is on display in the Early Flight exhibition at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC.

Collection Item Summary:

Maximotors were built by Max Dingfelder in Detroit, Michigan, around 1911 to 1913. Models included four- and six-cylinder in-line and V-8 water-cooled engines. This Model B-4 Maximotor was the last of several that powered Red Devil III aircraft designed and built by Thomas Scott Baldwin, who had previously made a reputation with lighter-than-air craft. Red Devils were also powered by a number of other engine types, including Hall-Scott and Curtiss. Maximotors were also used on aircraft such as those built by Wright, Curtiss, Bleriot, and Farman and Antoinette.

This engine artifact was removed from the Red Devil aircraft on display at the Udvar-Hazy Center of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum.

Collection Item Long Description:

Data Source

National Air and Space Museum


Do not reproduce without permission from the Smithsonian Institution, National Air and Space Museum

Credit Line





  • 3-D: 104.1 × 40.6 × 73.7cm (41 × 16 × 29 in.)
  • Support: 36.8 × 61 × 49.5cm (14 1/2 in. × 24 in. × 19 1/2 in.)

Country of Origin

United States of America



Physical Description

  • Type: Reciprocating, in-line, 4 cylinders, liquid-cooled
  • Power rating: 52 kW (70 hp) at 1,500 rpm
  • Displacement: 7.0 L (430 cu in.)
  • Bore and Stroke: 127 mm (5.0 in.) x 140 mm (5.5 in.)
  • Weight (wet): 118 kg (260 lb)


PROPULSION-Reciprocating & Rotary

Inventory Number