You are here

Zuni missile


Display Status:

This object is on display in the Boeing Aviation Hangar room at Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA.

Zuni missile

Collection Item Summary:

Introduced around 1958 by the Hunter-Douglas Division of Bridgeport Brass Company and named after the North American Indian tribe, the U.S. Navy Zuni was an improved version of the HVAR (High Velocity Aircraft Rocket), also called the Holy Moses, which was used during World War II as an air-to-surface weapon. The Zuni had a greater velocity than the HVAR, more penetrating power, and longer range.

The Zuni's fins automatically unfolded when the missile left its launcher. The Zuni was designed for use against enemy bombers, pillboxes, gun emplacements, trains, vehicle convoys, ammunition dumps, and small ships. The Zuni was very inexpensive, costing about $400 each, and served as both an air-to-surface and air-to-air missile. It was used to the 1980s. This missile was donated to the Smithsonian in 1966 by the U.S. Navy.

Collection Item Long Description:

Data Source

National Air and Space Museum


Do not reproduce without permission from the Smithsonian Institution, National Air and Space Museum

Credit Line

Transferred from U.S. Navy


Non-ferrous metal body; aluminum fins; steel nozzle; steel warhead; non-ferrous warhead cap; steel nose tip


Overall: 7 ft. 11 1/2 in. long x 5 in. diameter, 107 lb. (242.57 x 12.7cm, 48.5kg)

Country of Origin

United States of America


ca. 1958-1980s


CRAFT-Missiles & Rockets

Inventory Number


Related Topics