This object is on display in the James S. McDonnell Space Hangar room at Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA.
Collection Item Summary:
The Gorgon 2C was one of a family of missiles of the U.S. Navy's Bureau of Aeronautics. It was powered by a pulsejet, much like the one used on the famous V-1 German cruise missile of World War II. However, the Gorgon 2C never became operational because it was developed too late in the war. The 2C was converted into a control test vehicle and was used to test missile heat homing and radar homing systems and techniques. About 100 were built and tested altogether, starting in September 1946. This is probably one of the few if not the only remaining Gorgon 2Cs extant. The Gorgon program was cancelled in 1951.
The missile was donated to the Smithsonian in 1966 by the U.S. Navy.
Collection Item Long Description:
National Air and Space Museum
Do not reproduce without permission from the Smithsonian Institution, National Air and Space Museum
Transferred from U.S. Navy
Frame and skin, aluminum; nose, aluminum; pulsejet tube and grill, steel; tubular spar through main wing, steel; wood in wing roots; two plastic tubes at rear.
Overall: 5 ft 2 in. tall x 4 ft. 10 in. wide x 19 ft. 6 in. deep, 11 ft. wing span, 560 lb.(157.5 x 147.3 x 594.36cm, 254kg, 60.96 x 335.28cm)
See more items in
Country of Origin
United States of America
CRAFT-Missiles & Rockets