This object is on display in the Boeing Aviation Hangar room at Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA.
Collection Item Summary:
Developed by the Soviet Union, the SA-2 has been the most widely used air defense missile in the world. In the Soviet Union it was called the Dvina; in the West it was known by its NATO code name, SA-2 Guideline (SA meaning surface-to-air). SA-2s became operational in 1959 and were acquired by all Soviet client states. In 1960 an SA-2 downed the American U-2 spy plane piloted by Francis Gary Powers.
The SA-2 had a solid-fuel booster and a liquid-fuel second stage. Many countries made their own versions of the missile. This one, meant for export, is mounted on a transporter and required a separate launcher. SA-2s are still in use today. This object was donated to the Smithsonian in 1985 by the U.S. Navy.
Collection Item Long Description:
National Air and Space Museum
Do not reproduce without permission from the Smithsonian Institution, National Air and Space Museum
Transferred from U.S. Navy
Steel alloys and titanium
- Overall (maximum): 34 ft. 6 in. long x 2 ft. 4 in. diameter x 7 ft. 3 in. wing span(1051.56 x 71.12 x 220.98cm)
- Other (sustainer section): 1 ft. 7 in. diameter x 5 ft. 6 in. wing span(48.26 x 167.64cm)
- Other (Trailer): 90 in. wide (228.6cm)
See more items in
National Air and Space Museum Collection
Country of Origin
Union of Soviet Socialist Republics
CRAFT-Missiles & Rockets