This object is not on display at the National Air and Space Museum. It is either on loan or in storage.
Restrictions & Rights
- 2-D - Unframed (H x W): 21.3 × 27.1cm (8 3/8 × 10 11/16 in.)
- 2-D - In Frame (H x W x D): 33cm × 38.1cm × 3.8cm (13 × 15 × 1 1/2 in.)
See more items in
- Colored etching of the first balloon launch within the Arctic Circle. The launch took place at Enontekis where the people of Torneȁ Lapmark assembled to watch. Scene shows balloon ascending among people, cabins, and deer, with water and mountains in the distance.
- 'Published Jan. 1819 by T. Cadell & W. Davies, Strand, London.' 'E.D. Clarke delt.' and 'R. Pollard Sculpt.'
- Accompanied by a manuscript, 'Extract from Dr. Clarke's Travels relative to the Ascent of a Balloon within the Arctic Circle.' that is in the NASM Archives.
- Dr. Edward Daniel Clarke provided an account of the event in, "Dr. Clarke's Travels in Scandanavia," Edinburgh Magazine and Literary Miscellany (September, 1819), pp. 254-255