Collection Item Summary:
The orbital workshop is the largest component of Skylab, America's first space station. It houses the living quarters, work and storage areas, research equipment, and most of the supplies needed to support a succession of three-man crews. Two complete Skylab space stations were manufactured and equipped for flight, and one was launched into Earth orbit in May 1973. After the Skylab program was canceled as effort shifted to Space Shuttle development, NASA transferred the backup Skylab to the National Air and Space Museum in 1975. On display in the Museum's Space Hall since 1976, the orbital workshop has been slightly modified to permit viewers to walk through the living quarters.
Collection Item Long Description:
National Air and Space Museum
Do not reproduce without permission from the Smithsonian Institution, National Air and Space Museum
McDonnell Douglas Astronautics Co.
Transferred from National Aeronautics and Space Administration
Structure: various metals, primarily aluminum
Overall: 48 ft. tall x 21 ft. 7 1/16 in. diameter, 78000 lb. (1463.04 x 658.02cm, 35380.6kg)
See more items in
National Air and Space Museum Collection
Country of Origin
United States of America