This object is not on display at the National Air and Space Museum. It is either on loan or in storage.
Collection Item Summary:
In 1923, the Packard Motor Car Company of Detroit, Michigan, began the development of a new series of 12-cylinder aircraft engines that would more fully meet the requirements of the Army and Navy. In these new designs, a great step forward was made in decreasing the weight per horsepower. The first engine employing the new form of construction, the 268 kW (360 hp) Packard 1300 was built under a Navy contract. While this engine was under development, the Packard Company obtained an Army contract for a refined and enlarged version known as the 1500. This was superseded by the 2A-1500 which was built in upright direct drive and geared configurations and inverted direct drive configurations.
This is an upright direct drive Model 2A-1500. Among the aircraft powered by the Packard 2A-1500 engine were the Curtiss R3C-3 racer, the two-engine Huff-Daland XB-1 bomber, Boeing FB-5 pursuit aircraft, and Navy PN-10 seaplane.
Collection Item Long Description:
Restrictions & Rights
See more items in
Country of Origin
- Type: Reciprocating, V-type, 12 cylinders, water-cooled
- Power rating: 447 kW (600 hp) at 2,500 rpm
- Displacement: 25 L (1530.4 cu in.)
- Bore and Stroke: 137 mm (5.375 in.) x 140 mm (5.5 in.)
- Weight: 345 kg (760 lb)