Collection Item Summary:
Designed in 1930, the 14-cylinder, 597 kW (800 hp) Twin Wasp engine was first used in the Martin 130 China Clipper that inaugurated trans-Pacific commercial operations in 1935.
United Air Lines had 746 kW (1,000 hp) Twin Wasps installed in their Douglas DC-3As, which went into service in 1937. Other airlines also used Twin Wasp DC-3As, and 9,600 were built for the military as the C-47, C-53, and C-117 to become the principle transports used in World War II.
This version powered the Douglas C-47A, C-48, C-52, and C-53, all commercial or military versions of the DC-3. A total of 173,618 of all versions of the Twin Wasp engines were manufactured, including those for the World War II B-24 bomber, a number greater than any other large aircraft engine.
Collection Item Long Description:
National Air and Space Museum
Do not reproduce without permission from the Smithsonian Institution, National Air and Space Museum
Pratt & Whitney
Gift of Grumman Aerospace.
- 3-D: 156.6 × 122.4cm, 664.5kg (61 5/8 × 48 3/16 in., 1464 15/16lb.)
- Support: 121.9 × 215.9 × 121.9cm (48 × 85 × 48 in.)
See more items in
National Air and Space Museum Collection
Country of Origin
United States of America
Circa World War II
- Type: Radial, 14 cylinders, two rows, air-cooled, supercharger
- Power rating: 895 kW (1,200 hp) at 2,700 rpm
- Displacement: 30 L (1,828.4 cu in)
- Bore and Stroke: 139.5 mm (5.5 in) x 139.5 mm (5.5 in)
- Weight: 666 kg (1,467 lb)
PROPULSION-Reciprocating & Rotary