This object is on display in the Boeing Aviation Hangar room at Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA.
Collection Item Summary:
Derived as a modest development of the Twin Wasp R-1830, the R-2000 was designed specifically for the Douglas DC-4 commercial airliner, allowing use of lower octane fuel than generally used by the military. It was also used on the Air Force C-54 and Navy R5D (military versions of the DC-4); the Vought XF5U-1; Chase YC-122; and Cancargo CBY-3.
This engine, known as the X-100 (Pratt & Whitney's 100th experimental engine), was completed in 1940 as an R-2000 DG. During seven years of experimental development, it was changed into nearly every subtype of R-2000 engine to test many design improvements. In November 1945, it was converted to a post-World War II commercial 2SD13-G engine. After 4,493 hours of experimental operation, the X 100's last run was in October 1947. It was later restored to the 2SD13-G configuration for the Museum.
Collection Item Long Description:
National Air and Space Museum
Do not reproduce without permission from the Smithsonian Institution, National Air and Space Museum
Pratt & Whitney
Gift of Pratt & Whitney Aircraft
Diameter 124.7 cm (49.10 in), Length 151.5 cm (59.66 in.)
See more items in
National Air and Space Museum Collection
Country of Origin
United States of America
- Type: Reciprocating, 14 cylinders, radial, 2 rows, air cooled
- Power rating: 1,081 kW (1,450 hp) at 2,700 rpm
- Displacement: 32.8 L (2,000 cu in.)
- Bore and Stroke: 146 mm (5.75 in.) x 140 mm (5.5 in.)
- Weight (dry): 720 kg (1,585 lb)
PROPULSION-Reciprocating & Rotary