This object is not on display at the National Air and Space Museum. It is either on loan or in storage.
Collection Item Summary:
Dr. Hugo Junkers started development of aircraft engines in a small factory at Dessau, Germany in 1911. Although he died in 1935, his company continued to develop many successful engines, propellers and aircraft that supported the German Luftwaffe in World War II.
From marks on the artifact, this apparently was a Junkers Flugzeug- und Motorenwerke AG designed and manufactured propeller. Because of adaptability with Junkers engines, this hydraulic propeller was primarily used on Junkers aircraft, e.g. Ju-87 Stuka dive-bomber. The VDM electrically operated propeller was used on most other German WW II aircraft.
Collection Item Long Description:
- HAZMAT: Cadmium Plating
- Copper Alloy
- Preservative Coating
- Rotor/Propeller: 365.8 x 38.7 x 29.8 x 50.8 x 7.6cm (12 ft. x 15 1/4 in. x 11 3/4 in. x 20 in. x 3 in.)
- 3-D (Blade Length): 161.3cm (63 1/2 in.)
- Storage: 233.7 x 104.1 x 74.9cm (92 x 41 x 29 1/2 in.)
See more items in
Country of Origin
- Type: Three-Blade, Variable-Pitch, Metal
- Diameter: 365.8 cm (144 in.)
- Chord: 38.7 cm (15.25 In.)
- Engine Application: Junkers Jumo 211 V-12 or BMW 801A 14-cylinder radial