This object is not on display at the National Air and Space Museum. It is either on loan or in storage.
Collection Item Summary:
Founded in 1895 by Hugo Junkers, a brilliant German engineer and aircraft designer, Junkers Flugzeug- und Motorenwerke AG, made major contributions to civil and military aviation technology during the early twentieth century. Although his name continued to be used, Hugo Junkers was a socialist who died in 1935 and did not directly contribute to Germany’s preparation for World War II.
Because of limited adaptability, mostly to Junkers engines, Luftwaffe World War II application of Junkers propellers was largely confined to Ju-87, Ju-88, Ju-188, and Dornier 217 aircraft. The VDM electrically operated constant speed propellers, which also had finer control than the Junkers hydraulic propellers, had much wider application.
Prior to the war, Junkers had produced controllable propellers under license from American manufacturers. Only after 1938, to avoid the licensing issue, did Junkers begin experimental production of its own controllable propellers. Expert opinion of the Junkers designed propeller was that it was rugged but heavy.
Collection Item Long Description:
- HAZMAT: Cadmium Plating
- Copper Alloy
- Preservative Coating
- Rotor/Propeller: 350.5 x 38.7 x 29.8 x 50.8 x 7.6cm (11 ft. 6 in. x 15 1/4 in. x 11 3/4 in. x 20 in. x 3 in.)
- 3-D (Blade Length): 162.6cm (64 in.)
- Storage: 223.8 x 91.1 x 71.1cm (88 1/8 x 35 7/8 x 28 in.)
See more items in
Country of Origin
- Type: Three-Blade, Variable-Pitch, Composite
- Diameter: 350.5 cm (138 in.)
- Chord: 38.7 cm (15.25 in.)
- Engine Application: Jumo 211 or BMW 801