Collection Item Summary:
This shaving equipment was carried aboard the Apollo 11 mission by astronaut Michael Collins as part of his personal preference kit. Both pieces were readily available in drugstores.
The Personal Preference Kit was so named because all astronauts were permitted one small bag for personal or small items of significance they wished to carry into space.
Donated to the National Air and Space Museum by Michael Collins in 1985
Collection Item Long Description:
Restrictions & Rights
- Tube: Soft metal with plastic cap
- Contents: "Old Spice" shaving cream
- Razor: Plastic with metal blades
- 3-D (Razor): 11.8 × 4.8 × 2.5cm (4 5/8 × 1 7/8 × 1 in.)
- 3-D (Shaving Cream): 15.5 × 6.2 × 3.3cm (6 1/8 × 2 7/16 × 1 5/16 in.)