This object is on display in the Mary Baker Engen Restoration Hangar room at Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA.
Collection Item Summary:
This is one of Robert H. Goddard's P-series rockets, probably the one he used for a test in October 1941 during which the rocket jammed in the launch tower and failed to lift. Goddard's P-series was so designated because they contained his propellant pumps. The series was also his largest and last liquid-fuel flight rockets and were tested at Roswell, New Mexico, during 1938-1941.
However, only two P-series rockets achieved flight. But the tests were discontinued because Goddard moved in 1942 to Annapolis, Maryland to undertake wartime work for the Navy on non-flight rocket motors. This rocket was donated to the Smithsonian by the Daniel and Florence Guggenheim Foundation for the Promotion of Aeronautics in 1950.
Collection Item Long Description:
National Air and Space Museum
Do not reproduce without permission from the Smithsonian Institution, National Air and Space Museum
Dr. Robert H. Goddard
Gift of Daniel and Florence Guggenheim Foundation
Aluminum alloy, copper alloy pipes, steel, insulation material, rubber, tape
Overall: 21 ft. 11 in. long x 1 ft. 6 in. diameter, 161 lb. (668.02 x 45.72cm, 73kg)
See more items in
National Air and Space Museum Collection
Country of Origin
United States of America
CRAFT-Missiles & Rockets