You are here

Salmson 9AD Radial Engine


Display Status:

This object is on display in the Boeing Aviation Hangar room at Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA.

Salmson 9AD Radial Engine

Collection Item Summary:

Emile Salmson’s French general engineering firm entered the aircraft engine field in 1911. Its earlier engines were water cooled radials based on a Swiss Canton-Unne patent. The Société des Moteurs Salmson introduced the air cooled 9AD in 1925. Private pilots in the United States and Europe used it extensively in light sport aircraft. A French Albert TE-1 aircraft equipped with a 9AD captured a light plane altitude record in 1926 of 6,096 meters (20,000 feet).

The Aeromarine-Klemm Corporation of Keyport, New Jersey, was the American distributor for Salmson engines. U.S. and European aircraft that used the 9AD included the Aeromarine-Klemm AKL-25A, American Eaglet 231, Caudron 109, Farman 230, and Morane-Saulnier MS 180.

Collection Item Long Description:

Data Source

National Air and Space Museum


Do not reproduce without permission from the Smithsonian Institution, National Air and Space Museum

Credit Line

Gift of Charles F. Grafflin


Diameter 63 cm (24.81 in.), Length 69.1 cm (27.188 in.)

Country of Origin




Physical Description

  • Type: Reciprocating, Radial, 9 cylinders, air cooled
  • Power rating: 30 kW (40 hp) at 2,000 rpm
  • Displacement: 3 L (182 cu in)
  • Bore and Stroke: 69.9 mm (2.75 in.) x 85.7 mm (3.375 in.)
  • Weight: 69.9 kg (154 lb)


PROPULSION-Reciprocating & Rotary

Inventory Number