This object is on display in the Boeing Aviation Hangar room at Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA.
Collection Item Summary:
This engine was designed by Victor Lougheed, elder brother to Allan and Malcolm Lougheed, founders of the Lockheed Aircraft Company, and manufactured in 1911 by the Taft-Peirce Manufacturing Company of Woonsocket, Rhode Island. It was made almost entirely of Krupp chrome nickel steel at the contemporary high cost of $15,000, with the crankcase and cylinders turned from solid billets weighing approximately 908 kg (2,000 lb.)
Fuel and lubrication were forced into the cylinders through bypasses in the sides of the cylinders and pistons. Multiple poppet valves, with six in the head of each power-producing cylinder, provided for excellent and rapid scavenging of combustion gases. The eight air pumps, projecting from the lower part of the crankcase, maintained in the crankcase at all times a compression of air which was expelled through the cylinders on the exhaust stroke, and assisted in keeping the cylinders cool.
Collection Item Long Description:
National Air and Space Museum
Do not reproduce without permission from the Smithsonian Institution, National Air and Space Museum
Gift of Frederick S. Blackall, Jr., President and Treasurer, Taft-Peirce Manufacturing Company.
See more items in
Country of Origin
United States of America
- Two reproduction cylinders are displayed next to the engine.
- Type: Reciprocating, V-8, 2-stroke cycle, air-cooled
- Power: 45 kW (60 hp) at 3,500 rpm estimated (engine never ran)
- Displacement: 2.3 liters (140 cu in.)
- Bore and Stroke: 76.2 mm (3 in.) x 63.5 mm (2.5 in.)
- Weight: 37 kg (81 lb)
PROPULSION-Reciprocating & Rotary