This object is not on display at the National Air and Space Museum. It is either on loan or in storage.
Collection Item Summary:
Vereinigte Deutsche Metallwerke, or United German Metalworks, was a society of medium-sized firms formed in 1930. One of VDM’s member companies, the Heddernheimer Metal Company, initiated the development of metal propellers in Germany by introducing a ground-adjustable propeller in the late 1920s, similar in construction to the American Standard Steel propeller.
VDM’s Dr. Hans Ebert later developed an ingenious method of pitch actuation using a reversible electric motor mounted on the engine crankcase. Actuation was via a flexible shaft connected to a small primary drive reduction gearbox, which was in turn attached to a large annular gearbox fitted to the rear of the propeller hub.
VDM production of constant-speed propellers began in 1938. VDM was the leading German manufacturer of metal propellers before and during World War II, utilized by approximately 90 percent of the Luftwaffe's front-line aircraft.
Collection Item Long Description:
- Cadmium Plating
- Rotor/Propeller: 360.7 x 30.5 x 50.8 x 38.1cm (11 ft. 10 in. x 12 in. x 20 in. x 15 in.)
- 3-D (Blade Length): 152.4cm (60 in.)
- Storage: 238.8 x 69.2 x 54cm (94 x 27 1/4 x 21 1/4 in.)
See more items in
Country of Origin
- Type: Three-Blade, Variable Pitch, Metal
- Diameter: 360.7 cm (142 in.)
- Chord: 30.5 cm (12 in.)
- Engine Application: Unknown