This object is not on display at the National Air and Space Museum. It is either on loan or in storage.
Restrictions & Rights
- Mat: 50.8 × 40.6cm (20 × 16 in.)
- Unmatted: 49.5 × 34.9cm (19 1/2 × 13 3/4 in.)
See more items in
- Uncolored etching of the balloon Le Flesselle aloft over Lyon, France on January 16, 1784. Figures can be seen in the gondola. Description of the scene below the image in French.
- Jacques de Flesselles (1721-1789) served as Intendant of Lyon for twenty years (1764-1784). Fascinated by technology, he was involved in tests of an experimental steam boat and sponsored the flight of the great Montgolfier, Le Flesselle. He was shot and killed at the Hotel de Ville on July 14, 1789, while attempting to justify his years of service to the crown.
- 'Se vend à Paris chez le Noir Md. Fournisseur du Cabinet des Estampes du Roi, Demeurent au Louvre.'