Collection Item Summary:
In 1911, with their assistant Charles Taylor, Wilber and Orville Wright’s original Wright Company began work on a six-cylinder engine, which was first used by the U.S. Army Signal Corps on the Wright Model C aircraft. The engine developed problems in service, leading to design changes, and by 1913 a modified engine known as the Wright 6-60 evolved. At 1560 rpm, it was claimed that this engine developed 53.6 to 55.9 kW (72 to 75 hp). In 1914, a flexible flywheel drive was added, and the engine was re-designated Wright 6-70.
This engine, manufacturer's serial number 11, was one of the first six-cylinder engines designed and built by the Wright Company. One of the earliest Wright six-cylinder engines was installed in the U.S. Army Signal Corps aircraft Number 10 at Fort Riley, Kansas.
Collection Item Long Description:
National Air and Space Museum
Do not reproduce without permission from the Smithsonian Institution, National Air and Space Museum
Transferred from the War Department, Air Corps, Materiel Division, Wright Field, Dayton, Ohio.
metal, fabric, rubber
- 3-D: 104 × 38.1 × 68.6cm (40 15/16 × 15 × 27 in.)
- Support: 25.4 × 88.9 × 43.2cm (10 × 35 × 17 in.)
See more items in
Country of Origin
United States of America
- Type: Reciprocating, In-line, 6 cylinders, water-cooled
- Power rating: 44.7 kW (60 hp) at 1,400 rpm
- Displacement: 6.65 L (405.9 cu. in.)
- Bore and Stroke: 111.13 mm (4.375 in) x 114.30 mm (4.5 in)
- Weight: 136 kg (300 lb)
PROPULSION-Reciprocating & Rotary