Curtiss Ely Propeller

Zoom in on the image Zoom    Download this file Download

This propeller is from a Curtiss Model D pusher biplane flown by Eugene B. Ely on January 18, 1911 for the first landing on a ship, the battleship USS Pennsylvania in San Francisco Bay, using the first ever tailhook system. It is possible, but not likely according to recollections of a relative, that the propeller may have also been used by Eli on November 14, 1910 for the first take-off of the same aircraft from a ship, the cruiser USS Birmingham in Hampton Roads, Virginia.

Created:

06/23/2017

Photographer:

Mark Avino

ID #:

NASM2017-10049

Source:

Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum

Copyright/Owner:

Smithsonian Institution

Rights Usage:

Public Domain

Terms of Use:

Smithsonian Terms of Use
For print or commercial use please see permissions information.