The Sopwith Camel is among the most significant and famous of all WWI aircraft. Camels downed 1,294 enemy aircraft, more than any other Allied fighter in WWI. The cowling over the two Vickers machine guns ahead of the cockpit created a distinctive "hump," making the name Camel a natural choice, although it was never an official military designation.
The Camel entered operational service in July 1917 and remained a front-line fighter until the end of the war, with approximately 5,490 built. This Camel on display at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Virginia, B6291, served with No. 10 Squadron of the Royal Naval Air Service.